Essay Contests Open to East Lake Students
The Council of North County Neighborhoods is sponsoring two essay contests with scholarship prizes.
Got a kid who likes to write?
The Council of North County Neighborhoods has announced the topics for its third annual essay contest. There are two contests; one for elementary school students and another for high schoolers.
Don Ewing, Council of North County Neighborhoods President, says that the essay contests have taught his organization that kids are really in tune to issues in their community.
"Last year we got most of our ideas for what to do and things to work on by doing the essay contest," he said. "The bulk of the content came from the elementary school kids."
If your kid is interested in entering, here's what you need to know-
- The essays should be 300 to 500 words
- Must be turned in by Oct. 10, 2012
- Open to students in elementary and high school
- Winners will be announced at the Oct.15 CNCN meeting
- Winners will receive cash scholarship prizes. The scholarship amount will be determined by how much CNCN can raise.
- Elementary school essay topic: "If you were one of the many deer that roam in the East Lake area, tell us about your deer family and what a typical day would be for you."
- High school essay topic: "Identify a problem, economic or social, in the East Lake community; what are the major factors contributing to the problem and explain how the problem can be resolved."
- Teachers at East Lake schools will know how to submit the essays.