No doubt, Florida is known for being a winter destination for retirees. Ernesto Parra and Paula Gonzalez may not be retired, but they do make Florida their winter destination. The pair makes the annual trip to East Lake from North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains with truckloads of Fraser Fir Christmas trees that they sell at a lot on East Lake Rd.
"We like it, it's too cold right now. It was 18 degrees the other day," said Parra, who's been working for Dollar Brothers Christmas Trees for 10 years now. Dollar Brothers has been supplying Christmas trees to retail stores and tree lots throughout the southeast since 1984.
"They send fresh trees every week," said Parra.
Parra, Gonzalez and other members of the Dollar family staff will sell trees at the East Lake Road location until Dec. 22.
Prices start at $15 for a two-foot-tall tabletop tree that comes with a stand and increase depending on the size of the tree. A 10-foot-tall tree goes for $110, and wreaths start at $12.
What to know if you go-
- Dollar Brothers Christmas Trees
- Location: In a lot located on the west side of East Lake Road, just south of Lansbrook. Look for the sign next to a big red and white tent.
- Prices: Start at $15 for a tabletop tree and go up, depending on size
- How to Pay: Cash or personal check, no credit cards or debit cards
- Hours of operation: Open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Get more local headlines delivered to your inbox or smartphone by signing up for the free East Lake Patch email newsletter.